Post-holiday blues – would you emigrate?

It’s an occupational hazard for a travel-addict, the post-holiday blues. It’s like a holiday hangover: it begins on the plane, as you wave goodbye to that foreign land, then you touchdown in your home country (it’s usually raining, windy or just plain cold here in England). It then progressively worsens as you return to work in the following days…

I’m pretty prone to this post-holiday comedown and always like to have something new booked or planned to keep my mind away from dull, unreliable weather here in the UK, but apparently, according to a Global Visas survey, 65% of Britons consider emigrating to their most recent holiday destination to tackle these blues. It’s a pretty drastic measure if you ask me, but I’m wondering how many people actually go through with it?

Have you ever considered emigrating to a holiday destination you’ve recently explored? If you have actually emigrated, is the grass really greener on the other side?

Lottie Gross 22/08/13    General travel chat Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

6 Replies Date Popularity

I’ve been in India for most of the last 4 1/2 years. During monsoon the grass is very green ;)

I live in Ahmedabad, not your first choice for a holiday destination, but it’s the coolest place to live (if you can do away with a few things, like a hassle-free G&T in the afternoon).

I also spend nearly 1/2 the time in Switzerland. It’s green all the time, even at -16C in January ;)

I really doubt I’ll live in the States again.. Been there, done that, and left the t-shirt behind ages ago.

PirateAt50 24/08/13    Link Report

Not sure I could go without the G&T but does sound cool – what made you want to live elsewhere? I like the idea of moving to an exotic place but cant help but wonder if it would become less exotic once I lived there…

Lottie Gross 27/08/13    Link Report

Hassle-FULL G&Ts are possible – it’s India, ANYTHING is possible. I’m associated with an NGO which got me exactly here. And while India is a bit less “exotic” the longer you’re here, you don’t need a TV. You’ve got Comedy Central 24/7 ;)

PirateAt50 27/08/13    Link Report

Haha, well I suppose as long as there’s G&T and plenty to keep you laughing… Sounds lovely. Always thought that if I moved abroad it would be to India :)

Absolutely I would! And I will at some point. I have too many places left to visit and too much wanderlust to settle anywhere at the moment though. I know exactly what you mean by post holiday blues, the reverse culture shock can hit me pretty hard sometimes! Fortunately I always have my next couple of trips planned, my life is a series of extended snap years at the moment so it isn’t too bad.

Michael Huxley 24/08/13    Link Report

Yes & did 6 years ago to Nov Scotia Canada & best move we ever made – love it
Life is so much more laid back, not as busy, proper seasons instead of lots of grey rain all the time & loads of space & big skies
Children get to be children longer & no yob/drunken youth culture – never heard a teenage swear in the 6 years I’ve been here, much more respectful

Mumof2 24/08/13    Link Report

Sounds perfect! Got any advice for others looking to emigrate?

My Aunt and Uncle is from Heathrow and every year they take a vacation here in The Philippines and religiously go to Boracay for a week as a vacation getaway thing. They always stay here for 3 good weeks just to enjoy the weather, beach, sun and most of all food! :)

rico27 25/08/13    Link Report

I’ve been back from holiday 12 hours and know those blues. Perfect time to plan the next trip. As long as you have something on the horizon…

Tim Chester 29/08/13    Link Report

Exactly! I always have the next two or three plans on the go! ;D

Michael Huxley 29/08/13    Link Report

Seems like I indulge in a “could I live here…” fantasy during every trip I take. New York City still calls me back home, though. Guess those “I <3 NY" T-shirts are telling the truth!

Rebecca Behan 03/09/13    Link Report

Agreed! I’ve had that everywhere (esp NYC) except Beijing.

Tim Chester 04/09/13    Link Report