On the Road to Mandalay

Am planning a trip to Burma to celebrate my 60th, either November or Jan/feb 2015. What can’t I afford to miss ? Anyone got any recent tips, tricks, or advice ?

dotingranny 08/04/14    Budget travel Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

1 Reply Date Popularity

What an amazing idea – it sounds like it’ll be a very memorable birthday! Have a look at our Things Not to Miss gallery for some inspiration. Personally I’d love to see Hpa-an, but of course Yangon is a must-see, especially Shwedagon Paya. We also have an article on the beaches of Myanmar, which are brilliant if you’re after a relaxing break rather than hiking up mountains and exploring cities.

One definite thing to bear in mind is the ethics of how you travel (for an overview, have a look at our Myanmar destination page on this site). As the country has only recently opened up, it’s good to bear in mind where your money is going. And of course eco-friendly options are always good to bear in mind when you travel, but especially in a country where the tourism infrastructure is still in the process of being developed.

Also, if it affects when you go at all, we will have a brand new full guide to Myanmar coming out in February 2015! Until then there’s our Snapshot Rough Guide Myanmar ebook, which goes over all the essentials and highlights.

Rebecca Hallett 09/04/14    Link Report

Lottie Gross 09/04/14    Link Report