Myanmar in late July

Hello All,

I just joined RG so greetings to everyone :).

I happen to plan for a short trip (8-12 days travel) in late July this year and I’ve been wishing to finally able visiting Myanmar/Burma.
Based on random internet search, it’s been said that July-August should be the wet months over there.
I don’t plan for trekking though I’m not sure it will be a pleasant walk to sights I want to see within Yangon & Mandalay.

Can I have your opinion? Should I wait until October to travel there?
I’ve had plan B, C, D but they’re all in South-east Asia and don’t have similar weather with Indonesia (in July & August, we usually have hottest season of the year).

Thanks in advance for any responses.

ssjuly

ssjuly 02/02/14    When to goLaosMyanmar (Burma) Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Hi ssjuly

Welcome to the site!

While it is certainly true that July and August are generally peak months for the monsoon in Myanmar, how much rain you’ll get really depends on where you are in the country. Mandalay, Bagan and the central plains – which I’m sure would figure highly in any of your plans – actually receive comparatively little rain year-round, and by July will be cooler than the March/April peak (which can be roasting). We think this is a pretty good time to visit in fact – you can take advantage of low-season rates and the lushness of the countryside at this time of year, and while chances are you’ll get some downpours, they’re only short and when they’re finished the skies are beautifully clear. One thing to bear in mind in Mandalay is the Spirits festival in nearby Taungbyone in August, which can make transport around Mandalay quite hectic at this time.

Yangon receives a lot more rain than Mandalay or Bagan but though the deluges can be pretty powerful they’re again comparatively short and are unlikely disrupt your visit.

In short, if July/August is the only time you can go then I would say definitely – go!

Edward Aves 04/02/14    Link Report

Hi ssjuly

I do highly recommend this time of year(July or August) to go visit Myanmar because firstly, price wise most accommodation and transportation cost will me minimal or reasonable compare to tourist high seasons between Oct to Feb. When tourist season start all price will be triple or a lot more than in July or August and you will be very difficult to get hold of a room to book in some popular towns and cities of tourist designation.

Weather wise, this is rainy season in Myanmar so there will be more rain and water to encounter but it is quite manageable if you are travelling continuously or travelling around central region of Myanmar where most of the ancient cities and pagodas situated such as Mandalay, Bagan, Popa and so on. Currently, temperature will be around 28 to 33C most of the place, so it will be a lot easy and comfortable to travel than later time of the year where temp can reach 38 to 43c under midday sun.

Like Edward suggestion, you should not miss this chance of going to Myanmar this time of year because you are an experienced traveller so you should already been known how is like travelling to a country in tourist high season because when everyone busy no one has spare time to assist anyone. But fortunately, if you could travel in July or August, you will see the true nature of people and country, which full with kindness and helpfulness to tourists and others when needed.

If you could make it, wish you have enjoy 100% and will be value for money.

moe-aung 10/07/14    Link Report

Thanks for replying, both Edward and moe-aung,
It’s been a dilemma and finally I decided to wait until end of October.
Hopefully I’ll make it by that time without increasing my budget too high.
I’m hoping to make this route, it’s a popular one I guess;
Yangon to Mandalay continue to Bagan and Inle Lake then heading back to Yangon.
If I can have a cheaper flight from Mandalay to Bangkok instead when returning, I’ll take it.
I’ll have a look over the forum to see what the other members suggested for best route and transports.

Have a great day!
Cheers from Jakarta :)

ssjuly 23/07/14    Link Report