Morocco tours / chauffeur recommendations?

At the stage of planning our 10 days trip to Morocco next Dec, we re looking into hiring a local chauffeur..can any make a suggestions? any tip would be appreciated.
Thanks

Nicole 11/09/13    Getting aroundMorocco Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Hi Nicole,

Welcome to the RG Community. I am the moderator here so have edited the title of your question so people know what you’re asking for – hopefully that’ll get you some good responses.

In answer to your question: I travelled with Moroccan Nature Trails (www.moroccantrail.com) into the desert for a one night camping trip, our guide Mustapha was fantastic. He was really friendly and even after our tour he had tea with us at our hostel, recommended other places to go and restaurants to eat.

Hope this helps and happy travels!

Lottie Gross 11/09/13    Link Report

Hello.
Thanks alot for the recommendation.

Nicole 12/09/13    Link Report

We were fortunate to stay in the equivalent of five-star hotels. But they’re more elegant guest houses than hotels. While there are many Western-style hotels in Morocco, we opted to stay in dars and riads. A riad by definition, is a building that surrounds an inner courtyard. The courtyard usually has a pool or fountain and is a quiet refuge after a day in the souk. ‘Dar’ means house. They’re usually very small; the most rooms any of ours had were seven.

Our rooms were exquisite. The bathrooms were beautiful, usually decorated with beautiful ceramic tile. No detail was overlooked. All three of our riads/dars had rooftop terraces. The terrace of our riad in Marrakech offered a view of two stork nests. We spent a lot of time engrossed in the nesting culture of storks; it was fascinating.

The terrace of our dar in Fes overlooked the entire old medina and from the terrace of our dar in Tangier we were able to see the Rock of Gibraltar across the Mediterranean. Since the weather was warm and perfect throughout our stay, breakfast was served every morning on the terraces. Breakfast usually consisted of yogurt, fruit, wonderful Moroccan bread, crepes, fresh orange juice and coffee or tea.

The owners of two of the riads were French. The owner of the dar in Fes is American. She painstakingly restored every detail of it over a period of years and hired a young couple to manage it. All of them welcomed us as family visiting their house.

I found all three Riad And Morocco Excursions Company on Trip Advisor after a lot of searching and reading reviews. I’d highly recommend each one.

Riads

Marrakech – Riad Badi http://www.riadbadi.org/fr/

Fes – Dar Roumana http://www.darroumana.com/

Tangier – Dar Chams Tanja http://www.darchamstanja.com/‎

Morocco Excursions Company ( Morocco Tours and Desert Treks )

http://www.Morocco-Excursion.com

ellende 24/06/14    Link Report

I travelled with a girlfriend of mine for 11 days in Morocco, starting in Casablanca and ending in Tangier visiting the most interested places..
Our itinerary was:

1st day : Milan – Casablanca
2nd day: Casablanca – Rabat
3rd day: Rabat- Marrakech
4th day: Marrakech
5th day :Marrakech – Essaouira – Marrakech
6th day : Marrakech – Atlas moutains – Kasbah Aitbenhaddou – Ouarzazate – Dades Gorges
7th day : Dades Gorges – Todra Gorges – Merzouga – Camel trek for one night in desert
8th day : Merzouga – Errachidia- Medilt – Azrou – Fes
9th day : Fes
10th day: Fes – Chefchaouen
11th day: Chefchaouen – Tangier

Casablanca and Rabat :
Rabat’s medina is different to that of Fez and Marrakesh, which attracts more attention in the guidebooks.
The medina may not be as big or impressive as the medina’s of the other 2 cities, but the medina hugs the coast, making it very unique. There is also far less harassing and prices are lower here than the rest of Morocco. It’s the main attraction in Rabat, so if one visits it, the Medina is a must see!
Casablanca
I have visited many medinas and I found this one very disappointing. It was crowded, which is to be expected, with tiny alleys and shop keepers who either completely disinterested or overpowering. The goods were poor quality and very few were not imported. I found it quite sad really as it had an air of defeat about it unlike the vibrant, lively centres visited in other areas. I visited as a single woman and never felt intimidated or unsafe so that was a positive but fifteen minutes was enough and I felt pleased to escape. It’s all relative I know but to me this was a poor example of the vibrant and colourful medinas of Morocco.

Marrakech :
Well, what can I say..just visited Marrakech and stayed within the Medina. It’s a rather smelly place, ranging from bad to good. Nice spices and soaps to the opposite extreme! I am in my 40s and felt quite safe in the city, but I can easily understand why you may not. There are many dark alleys and poorly lit areas. It is the sort of place to go for an experience but I certainly wouldn’t take children, elderly or disabled people . The place just isn’t equipped for it. Forget it if you are in a wheel chair.

We met an American family and the two children were quite distressed by the way they perceived the animals being treated. Thin donkeys, horses and cats.

I guess it could come across as being unfriendly but then why wouldn’t it when, to a local, every tourist he meets wants to screw him down to the last penny of profit! These people are the same as us, they want to make a living. Pay them what they ask and they might be friendlier. How would you fancy having to haggle for your wage every month?

It is a place that thankfully we can visit and return from and maybe think that our own place isn’t that bad after all lol

Atlas Mountains , Gorges & Oasis + Camel Trekking in Sahara Desert:
while we wanted to mainly backpack on our own through the country, we were very happy to have made the decision book a 3-day tour starting from Marrakech and ends in Fes
Having made a lot of research, I found that Hassan Mouhou from Morocco Excursions Company ( http://www.Morocco-Excursion.com ) were the most receptive to my emails. They required a 100Euro deposit through Western Union (Most companies in Morocco don’t accept credit cards) and the transfer went without problem.
Rashid (our driver) picked us up promptly at 8am in Marrakesh and made all the stops promised (and more) along the way. Because he is at our full disposition, we were able to ask him to make specific stops (such as stopping in non-touristy super market to stock up on drinks, or stopping for a special picture, etc). Rashid was very friendly, kind and knowledgeable. He answered all our questions and talked about his life, his childhood as well as Moroccan culture and history in general.
Hassan met us in the desert and took us in the desert. The camels were wonderful and the desert guides were very nice. We sand-surfed, had tea, dinner and they even played music for us. We proceeded to sleep under the stars in the middle of the desert (the tents were there, but the weather was nice and fresh, so we slept outside). We woke up before the sunrise and walked up the biggest dune to see the sunrise before returning to our hotel to get our bags and take a shower.
All the meals included were great; and the ones that weren’t included (lunches), we could ask our driver to stop somewhere else, if we didn’t like what they had.
Rachid is an excellent, careful, good driver with lots of charisma. We did Casablaca , Rabat…Essaouira, Marrkesh, Fes and Tagier on our own but saw so much more and learnt so much more than we could have seen those 3 days in the desert.
It includes A LOT of driving but it is absolutely worth every penny and the car is new and comfortable.

Here are some pictures from my girlfriends flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/elenale/sets/72157637559050673/

Fes :
After our experience in Marrakech medina, this could be such a great place and is, I guess; if you can handled being constantly having people introduce themselves and explaining they are “not guides” but would like to show you around… that is around to their friends places of business where they get a commission. It was endless, people approaching constantly and not like the first, second or third polite “no”. – They then take offence and say something rather rude. If you do get to a place where you are interested in buying something be prepared to haggle big time, so do some price shopping as the same stuff is everywhere. We went during Ramadan, which may not be the best time to go as the natives are tired and hungry + thirsty. Some folks were nice and we bought a few unique items. Know that the Medina is a “maze” try and find a map or take your time. Do not allow yourselves to be “guided” and if you do, know who you are dealing with and set a price and time frame in advance.

All that said, it is well worth a visit. I would not consider this “child friendly” so I recommend adults only. So much walking and so crowded

Chefchaouen :
One of the best parts of exploring a city is to get lost and just wander around. If you have a good sense of direction, you are never really lost. Get up early in the morning before people are out and about. Enter the medina and wander off into the side streets. The blue walls and walkways are a photographers dream.
When you get hungry, head back to the plaza where there are a bunch of cafes, specializing in a multiude of cuisines. For about $10.US you can have a three course meal.
The vendors are not too bad when they make contact, but a firm “no merci” does the trick if you are not interested. Be prepared to bargain and haggle, and walk away if the price isn’t worth it .

We used Royal Air Maroc ( http://www.royalairmaroc.com ) excellent food and crew very friendly. Excellent omelette for breakfast. New leather seats on both Boeing 767-300 from Casablanca and return on Boeing 737-800. I was surprised with their improvements….

Morocco is an amazing country and we hope to visit it at last once again.

cheal 06/07/14    Link Report

I had, two years ago, a very nice trip in south morocco with this travel agency: http://www.atlasexcursion.com/en . Hope this can help.

Amina Maliki 16/09/14    Link Report

We ended up using UNDER MOROCCAN SUN TOURS -www.undermoroccansun.com- for our Morocco private tour and we were not disappointed. Hassan the owner provided us with great confidence whilst going through the organizing and booking process. He gave us suggestions, from his experience, that would best suit our specific requirements. He worked with us to develop an individually designed itinerary that met our needs perfectly. Throughout this process, his replies to emails etc was prompt and informative. We had contacted other companies but found Hassan’s service was more personalized and professional.
With all internet transactions one can never be sure of what is going to happen on arrival, but Hassan provided us with a tour and service far beyond what we had expected. His excellent local connections meant that we felt part of the country rather than just passing through. His staff were extremely professional and my family and I felt totally relaxed as all our needs were taken care of, even down to the little details of having the car door opened for us on every occasion. He provided us with a truly amazing experience.
I have recommended Hassan to all my friends, if they should ever be going to Morocco. Also I have kept in touch with Hassan and his staff since the tour as I feel he has become a friend through the excellent service that we received. I am looking forward to a time in the near future when I can return to Morocco and my first step on that journey will be to contact Hassan to arrange another trip for us.
The information provided to us, at every stage of our tour, about Moroccan people, places, culture and heritage enhanced our experience greatly.
We were on a tight budget but Hassan was able to provide us with five star service and accommodation at a very reasonable price. Compared to other companies that quoted for us, Hassan was able to provide a much more comprehensive service at a significantly lower price.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need further information. I whole heartedly recommend Under Moroccan Sun Tours to any one who wishes to have an amazing experience in Morocco.

Nicole 22/11/14    Link Report