Lightweight hiking tour through Greece

Hello, we are about to start a lightweight hiking tour through Greece with my friend Johanna having the final destination the island of Crete, south. It would be a real island-hopping experience and carrying weight is a big issue for us, because we decided to carry only 1 backpack each, no suitcase or big bags!
So we will need to buy 2-3 things in Athens when we arrive, for example a headlamp and a Swiss army knife, which are both extremely useful.
Do you know if Amazon delivers fast and reliably in Athens? I am not especially worried about Amazon’s quality of service but I am worried about the speed of Greek post..

Thanks!
Kolin

kolinf 02/04/14    ShoppingGreece Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

2 Replies Date Popularity

Well since you would be carrying them around anyway and they are small items, why not just buy before you leave (cheap enough) and stow them in your main pack? They will take up next to no room and will save you the cost of postage and the hassle of picking it up/sorting out a drop off point or finding an amazon delivery point in Greece? I’m sorry but it makes absolutely no sense.

Michael Huxley 05/04/14    Link Report

You are absolutely right! I haven’t explained it properly and it makes no sense at all. I will be carrying some business products that I will sell in Athens upon my arrival. So, I will be loaded in the beginning, but after I sell them I will be completely lightweight. Unfortunately, I have no space for flashlights and swiss army knives in the beginning, because they take up valuable space that I prefer to use for the business products I carry. Thank you for your answer though and I am sorry for not being 100% clear from the start.

kolinf 05/04/14    Link Report

Hi Kolin,

That sounds like an amazing trip! I don’t know about Amazon deliveries in Athens, but it’s a big city so I would’ve thought there would be several camping / hiking goods shops around. A quick google search – for example, “travellers’ equipment stores Athens” – suggests a lot of possibilities! It’ll probably be a lot more fun than just ordering online, too.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Rebecca

Rebecca Hallett 07/04/14    Link Report

Thanks Rebecca, I guess you are right: I will meet some people in the stores and this more interesting than ordering online.

Thanks,
Kolin

kolinf 07/04/14    Link Report

I have bought camping/travel gear from 2-3 stores in Athens before going to the islands and they are good for basic stuff. One is called Odysseia Sport in Exarcheia in the city center (sorry there is no website after doing a google search) and the other is online and is called lightgear (www.lightgear.gr). Both of them have well known brands and I think that they will serve you well. There are couple more near Syntagma square but I think they are now closed, or not doing so good, don’t remember any names.
Have a great trip!

Giorgos 07/04/14    Link Report

Thanks everybody, we will soon be heading for Athens. However, we are thinking of visiting only western Crete as there is no time to discover the whole island. Would you recommend going to the south or the north of Crete for camping? Any precautions we should take? Thank you.

Kolin

kolinf 16/04/14    Link Report