Itinerary for 21 days in Greece & Turkey (need help!)

All -

Thanks in advance for your help with our itinerary! My wife and I are travelling to Turkey and Greece in July. We are adventurous and love doing things outdoors (ATVing, hiking, seeing sites, ruins, diving, etc). We are in our late 20s and early 30s and want to see a lot and don’t mind rushing some of the time. We want to be budget conscious for the trip (i.e. we heard that Santorini is expensive so are limiting our time there).
1) Please critique our itinerary and recommend changes of more/less time in places and if you think we are missing any major areas near where we are going.
2) We are worried we are missing out on Ephesus, Turkey but could not to fit it in. Should we still go and replace it with one of our other choices?
3) We really want to do Crete and have tried to maximize our time there, we know 5 days isn’t enough to see everything there, but is it at least enough to see to be worth it?
4) For Day 10, we are leaning toward Travel and Naxos, instead of more time in Santorini. Thoughts?
5) Let us know if we are rushing way too much in certain areas (we know it will be busy overall and are okay with that).

Day 1 Flight arrives late morning / Istanbul
Day 2 Fly to Cappadocia/ Cappadocia
Day 3 Cappadocia
Day 4 Cappadocia / Fly to Istanbul – Athens
Day 5 Athens
Day 6 (Peloponnese) Ancient Corinth – Corinth Canal – Epidavros – Nafplio
Day 7 (Peloponnese) Mycenae and Nafplio
Day 8 (Peloponnese) Nafplio – (stops along way?) – Olympia – Nafpaktos
Day 9 (Peloponnese) Delphi – Athens
Day 10 Athens / Ferry / Naxos??
Day 11 Naxos
Day 12 Naxos
Day 13 Santorini
Day 14 Santorini/Crete
Day 15 Crete
Day 16 Crete
Day 17 Crete
Day 18 Crete
Day 19 Crete/Fly to Istanbul
Day 20 Istanbul
Day 21 Istanbul
Day 22 Leave in early morning

Thank you for the help!!

D 11/05/14    Activity and adventureGreeceTurkey Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

2 Replies Date Popularity

Sorry, already updated the itinerary. Please let me know any comments/concerns. Thanks.
Day 1 Arrive late morning / Istanbul for the day (possibly) / Fly to Cappadocia (Leave 1p or 6p, arrive 2:30 or 7:30p)
Day 2 Cappadocia
Day 3 Cappadocia
Day 4 Fly to ATH (leave 8a to arrive 11:30a) / Athens
Day 5 Athens / Other??
Day 6 (Peloponnese) Ancient Corinth – Corinth Canal – Epidavros – Nafplio Spend the night in Nafplio
Day 7 (Peloponnese) Mycenae and Nafplio Spend the night in Nafplio
Day 8 (Peloponnese) Nafplio – Mistras – Olympia – Nafpaktos Spend the night in Nafpaktos
Day 9 (Peloponnese) Delphi – Distomo (St Lucas Monastary) – Athens Spend the night in Athens
Day 10 Fly to Crete (early, arrive at 9:30a) / Crete
Day 11 Crete
Day 12 Crete
Day 13 Crete
Day 14 Crete
Day 15 Ferry to Santorini (early / arrive at 10:30a) / Santorini
Day 16 Santorini / Ferry to Crete (leaves 3:30a, arrives 9:30a)
Day 17 OR Ferry to Crete (leaves 5p or 6p, arrives 6:30-7:30p) / Crete
Day 18 Crete
Day 19 Fly to Istanbul (arrive at 2p) / Istanbul
Day 20 Istanbul
Day 21 Istanbul
Day 22 Fly out early morning

D 12/05/14    Link Report

Hi there,

I don’t have any experience of Greece but can chip in on the Turkey stuff. I’d say you’re right to focus on Cappadocia and Istanbul – both amazing and so different one from the other. And I know you’ll be getting loads of seaside fun in the sun in Greece etc but I loved Kaş and thought a couple of nights camping on the beach at Butterfly Valley was pretty special. Ephesus/Efes – depends on how seriously you’re into ruins. I went when it was quiet and the experience has really stayed with me.

Any more questions, fire away.

Neil

Neil McQuillian 12/05/14    Link Report