is 2 weeks in cape town too long??

I’m thinking of traveling to cape town at the end of November. I’m wondering if 2 weeks in the city is too long? Obviously we could take day trips, but would it be a better idea to do one week in the city and a second week somewhere else? Or could we hire a car and day trip from cape town?

Help please! I’m aiming for a 2 week holiday that combines activity and relaxation!!

catinson 13/07/14    General travel chatAfrica Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Hi there,

I haven’t been there myself, but I doubt you’ll have trouble filling two weeks! Our guide to the area is The Rough Guide to Cape Town, the Winelands and the Garden Route – these trips out of Cape Town are really worthwhile, and there’s no point in rushing them! We have a suggested itinerary (the Western Cape Circuit) on this site which might come in handy when planning your trip: http://www.roughguides.com/destinations/africa/south-africa/itineraries/

It’s such a beautiful and diverse area, I’m sure you’ll have no trouble relaxing and having fun!

Rebecca Hallett 15/07/14    Link Report

Hi,

Sounds like a great holiday!

If I were you, I’d want to take some longer trips away from the city in the second week. I’m a big foodie, so I’d base myself in Stellenbosch for a few days to explore the Winelands and the vineyard restaurants – you can get around by car, bus, bike or even on a horseback tour. As Rebecca mentions, the Garden Route is also popular. You could spend a couple of days making your way down to Port Elizabeth (for a trip to Addo Elephant National Park), stopping off to hike in Tsitsikamma or spot dolphins near Plettenberg Bay.

Hope that helps!

Eleanor Aldridge 15/07/14    Link Report

We visited Cape Town and the Garden Route last year and really enjoyed this part of South Africa. The roads are good and we felt quite secure on the tourist trail. My strong advice is not to stay in Cape Town for all your visit. It is true that you can do long day trips from the city, but it would be far more relaxing if you did 4 or 5 nights in Cape Town and then went off along the Garden Route and back through the Winelands. I also endorse the comments about hiking, dolphin watching, and the delights of Stellenbosch. You are guaranteed a good time in the Cape.

stephen-wolstenholme 24/07/14    Link Report