Internet in Asia

Hello everybody.
I am planning to travel around Asia for about 1yr. I will go to these countries: Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, China, South Korea, Japan.

Probably going to do Nepal and India too.
Thing is, I will need to work. I have an online job, and I make around 1.5-2k $ per month.

My only concern is: internet connection -as I will be moving from one place to another.

How should I approach this? I know there must be some sort of mobile data pre-payed things….
Thank you for any help :D

Vlad Cristea 16/05/14    Gear & equipmentAsia Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Though I know this only answers part of your question, in Japan the internet isn’t as modern as you’d expect! There are some public wifi spots (eg the whole Shijō area in Kyoto has free wifi), but at most hotels you’ll still need a cable…

One option could be getting a dongle, but you’d probably get charged a lot for so much international use – it might be worth buying one in each country you go to, if you’ll be there for a while and the internet is your primary source of income.

Rebecca Hallett 16/05/14    Link Report

I was thinking something like… buying a prepayed sim card for mobile data in each country. I have a neverlocked smartphone I could use to create a wifi hotspot.
But I dont know if that is available everywhere and what would the cost be. I don’t mind paying 10-20$ for internet each month.
But thx for telling me about the cable thing :D I will pack one :)

Vlad Cristea 16/05/14    Link Report

I see! I think econnect is good for Japan, and possibly b-mobile (though I know less about this). The only one I know of for Korea is EG or EG Sim Card. Not sure about the other countries you’re visiting, but I’m sure there’ll be something!

Have a great trip :)

Rebecca Hallett 16/05/14    Link Report

Thank you. It will take a while to do all the prep but… I’ll get there eventually :D

Also guys, what would be the best way to approach this ?
1) Establish a “Base Camp” somewhere in southeast Asia ?
2) Pick a starting point and go on from there ?
3) Somehow combine those 2 ? :D

Both options are viable! It really depends on how you want to plan your trip – if you write a separate post on this, you might get some different answers! If you don’t want to have all your flights planned in advance, perhaps having a base country for some/all of the trip (a central, cheap and well-connected one) might be the best option. You could use local buses, trains, boats and airlines to get around without having to plan too far ahead!

Rebecca Hallett 21/05/14    Link Report

Where would you say its a good place for a base camp ? :) Somewhere not expensive, nice (maybe near a beach) and with good internet :)

Vlad Cristea 21/05/14    Link Report

That depends on where you want to go when! I would suggest checking out our Asian destination pages on this website, which have information on the essentials of each country, and also The Rough Guide to Southeast Asia on a Budget (generally you’re more likely to find a cheap base in southeast Asia rather than north). You can also have a look at the ‘when to go’ sections on the destination pages – you might want to plan your trip to avoid monsoons as much as possible, for example, though of course that comes down to personal preference.

Rebecca Hallett 21/05/14    Link Report

There are a lot of wifi connections in the places you want to go, sad thing is that in the Philippines it will be hard for you to find a free wifi connection.

Paul Daniel Seliron 27/05/14    Link Report

I was in the Philippines and there are excellent with all internet … That’s when I was in Kyrgyzstan there in places where we did not have internet ostonavlivalis (((.. But there is a beautiful nature can do this ubeditsa http://silkroadexplore.com

Makso 30/05/14    Link Report

We prefer to book WiFi enabled Hotels and buy Internet Stick with International Roaming

daniel198 05/06/14    Link Report