First time Eurotrip - travelling with a 2 yr old

Hi, We are making our first time Eurotrip starting Aug 6th to Aug 27th. We will be travelling with our 2 yr old daughter and really need some help planning our travel and find cheap and safe accommodations through out the trip. Following is our high level trip plan. Roadtrip from Nuremburg to Prague(1 night ), then to Vienna(1 night) to Salzburg(1 night) and drive to Munich(to return the car, we learnt its very expensive to return it in a different country from the pickup location). Train from Munich to Venice(2 nights). The next 7 days we want to spend in Italy(Rome, Naples, Florence, Milan?). Train from Milan to Interlaken, Switzerland(1 night). Train to Paris(3 nights) and final train to Nuremberg. Does this itinerary look too aggressive for travelling with a baby? What would be the best strategy to find accomadations? We are travelling from the US.

Kirthi 18/07/14    Budget travelEurope Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

1 Reply Date Popularity

Your trip takes you so close to the Romantic Road in Germany I wonder if that wouldn’t be worth adding to the list of must see’s while dropping off a few others. I do wonder if you are going to see much in one night in a city. We are currently planning a six week trip around Europe with two small boys and figure two days, three nights in any one city as a minimum. We also plan on 7 nights in a couple of cities so we might start getting some sense of a place rather than an itinerary full of flying visits. We are planning a campervan road trip that covers some of the route you have mentioned (Vienna, Saltzberg, Northern Italy, The Matterhorn, Switzerland, The Romantic Rd Nuremburg to Prague. We will rent an apartment in Prague and partner and boys unload while I return the van alone to Vienna and return by train) We have also planned on doing a portion of it purely by train so we can relax and the boys move around if they want to. We have also planed on x3 overnight rail trips to mix it up a bit and save some travelling time (not keen on flying domestically so much). I am wondering if you wouldn’t be better to pick 3 or 4 cities you really want to see and sepnd a few days letting it soak in, you itinerary sounds exhausting. When I have blitz travelled in a country I get home with a surreal feeling having seen but not experienced a place. Happy travels. P.S Try the Tripadvisor app, fantastic!! I use Google maps a lot to plan the distances, yours seem long over a short time.

shaun-donovan 21/07/14    Link Report

Hey Shaun, thanks for your inputs. We actually did revise the itinerary as we felt it being exhaustive as well. Here is how it looks now:

1) 2 nights in Berlin
2) 3 nights in Prague
3) 3 nights in Zurich
4) 2 nights in Venice
5) 4 nights in Rome(Florence included)
6) 2 nights in Paris

We are keeping only Prague, Zurich, Venice, Rome and Paris as the must see places and will be ok to drop cities or attractions if it gets tough. We wouldnt feel bad at all if we only got to see one monument or attraction in a city. All your points are absolutely right. If we had more days and we saw another opportunity to tour in Europe in next few years we would have totally wanted to take it light. I am sure we will come out learning more of what not to do at the end of this trip when planning a trip like this! :) Your campervan roadtrip plan sounds really good… Happy travels to you guys as well!! enjoy your trip!!

Kirthi 21/07/14    Link Report

Prague looks amazing, looking forward to it..

shaun-donovan 21/07/14    Link Report

Just to add to the comments already made.. I recently got back from a trip to Italy with my 18-month old son, which involved a lot of moving from place to place. A great experience but I think simplifying your itinerary as you have done is a good plan! Limiting the number of times you pack up and move on is key – you can easily visit Florence and Naples from Rome, and being settled in a particular base for a few days is much more relaxing than checking into a new hotel every day. For accommodation, I found apartments suited us better than hotels, and being able to self-cater is a bonus. airbnb.com is a great option in Italy – many of the apartments are in historic old palazzi in the centre of town, and are much cheaper than hotels. Have a great trip!

Natasha Foges 21/07/14    Link Report

Hi Natasha, Could you help me with some tips for packing toys/books, healthy treats and other essentials for the kid that worked for you during the trip? My daughter is toilet trained now, how easy are access to a public toilet during the trip, at attraction centers and trains as well. Should I still carry some diapers just in case if it will be hard to stop for restrooms on route? Also did you have to make reservations in airbnb much ahead of time of your travel or will we still find availability on the go? Thanks for sharing your experience, glad you enjoyed the trip with your little one!!!

Kirthi 21/07/14    Link Report