Enjoy Budget-Friendly Weekend in Shimla

The planet has is filled with two types of people, one who are nothing more than a couch potato on weekends and others who just wish to break free from those concrete boundaries. Well, I fall in the second category, as whenever given a chance, I am always ready to pack my bags for a journey. Unfortunately, at times I run short of money, due to which I have to look for affordable travel options. And so, I find that Shimla is one of the most beautiful and pocket-friendly destinations that prevent you from spending weekends the old school way (which includes cleaning the room, watching boring TV Shows and what not).

Shimla – an affordable weekend gateway

Located in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla is my personal favorite hill station (perhaps, because it is among the perfect places to see snowfall in India). Well connected by roads, railway networks and airport, it is easily accessible. Especially for those who are living in the northern part of India, Shimla is the nearest and the most economic weekend gateway. Owing to its proximity with the major cities, you don’t even need to spend much for reaching the place. Be it busses or taxies, both are easily available to reach Shimla and the charges are totally reasonable. Thus, almost half of your expense is saved, as the travelling expenditure never goes hard on your pocket.

Another specialty of Shimla is the availability of budget hotels. Trust me, I have been to this hill station more than three times and have never faced any trouble in getting comfortable budget hotel. There is a plethora of economic accommodation options in Shimla that provides you comfort and luxury within your budget. Some of the budget-friendly hotels in Shimla are stated below:

• Amar Hotel
• Hotel Doegar
• Hotel Le Gourmet Residency Shimla
• Hotel Sansar Shimla
• Hotel Chaman Palace Shimla
• Hotel Satyam Regency

This way, planning an affordable weekend trip to Shimla is as easy as a pie.
A glut of prepossessing natural panorama

Clear azure sky stretched over your head, and lush green carpet sprawled beneath your feet, what else you need to define a place as heaven on earth.

Ask anyone about the USP of Shimla and the unanimous answer would be – its natural beauty. Some of the best places that provide you a glimpse of Shimla’s natural splendor are stated below:

Shaily Peak
Climbing a peak, the notion itself is so enthralling; isn’t it?
At the same time you get an opportunity to cross check your guts to ensure if you can actually climb a peak! However, when it comes to the Shaily Peak, you don’t need to worry much. Located just 23 kilometers from Naldehra, Shaily Peak is an ‘easy to’ trek spot. It is a steeped trail with rocky ground and dense woods that trekkers simply enjoy. Still, if you are looking for some easy way out, you can hire a pony. It costs hardly 100-150 INR. Now, whether travelling via trek or a pony ride, one thing that I would like to suggest is, please do visit. This peak provides a pleasing sight to the sore eyes.

Himalayan Nature Park
Though I’m not a big time wildlife buff, still I feel that a tour to Shimla would be incomplete without visiting the Himalayan Nature Park. This park is an abode to various wild mountain beings like Tibetan Wolves, Snow Leopards, Bear, Barking Deer and so on. The entry fee is just 20 rupee per person and 10 rupee for children. In case you wish to capture the wilderness in your camera lenses, then still photography will cost you 50 rupees and video making will cost you 100 rupees. A visit to the Himalayan Nature Park is one of the perfect ways to spend weekend in Shimla within your budget.

The Ridge

The Ridge is neither a mountain nor a river, but it is a wide open lane that treats your eyes with the beauty of Mother Nature at its best. From this lane, you can witness the magnificent vista of the snow-dressed mountains that cuddle Shimla. Moreover, it is the same place where the International Summer Festival (in May/June), Christmas and New Year are celebrated. The best part is that you don’t need to pay any entry free for visiting the Ridge.

Shimla Glen
Another must visit place in Shimla is Glen. Located near the Chadwick falls and surrounded by the striking pine and deodar trees, Glen is a wonderful picnic spot. It is basically a forest reserve, wherein you can find various types of birds and animals. Yet again, you don’t have to pay any entry fee; you are free to visit any time between 8 AM to 8 PM.

Other than the above mentioned places, there are various other tourist hot spots in Shimla that you can visit like the Gaiety Heritage Cultural Complex, Himachal State Museum and Arki Palace. However, my idea of an affordable weekend trip to Shimla is well justified by the foresaid places. So, to sum up, I have drafted a whole idea for a weekend getaway. I hope you will make the best of it.

Pawan Kotiyal 12/03/14    Budget travelAsia Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

1 Reply Date Popularity

It is a beautiful hill town in the lap of nature.

Subhashini Sharma 09/04/14    Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....