Do you prefer budget backpacking, flashpacking or even a mix of the two?

I personally travel on a budget a lot of the time, but upgrade to flashpacking (comfy rooms, en suite) from time to time too, http://bemusedbackpacker.com/2013/12/13/avoid-backpacker-burnout-and-indulge-your-inner-flashpacker/ I don’t think there is any need to stick to one particular way of travelling and there is nothing wrong with experiencing as many different experiences as possible.

What do you think? Are you a staunch budget backpacker or a luxury flashpacker when choosing your accommodation?

Michael Huxley 08/01/14    Accommodation Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

For me, it depends – if I can get decent budget accommodation I’ll do it, but if the budget option is well below my standards (which are pretty low anyway to be honest), I’ll spalsh out a little for a nicer place.

If I’ve been budget backpacking for a long time, it’s nice to splash out now and then for a hot shower. I’ve even paid a posh (as posh as you can get on the Ethiopian/Kenyan border) hotel just to use one of their rooms for an hour so I could shower and detangle my hair after a pretty terrible journey. It was the best £8 I ever spent!

Lottie Gross 10/01/14    Link Report

Completely agree Lottie, I’m pretty much the same. I’ll get budget most of the time but have no problem spending a little more to get a nicer place from time to time either. Sometimes an extra pound or two can make a HUGE difference! And again you’re right in that it is nice to splash out for a bit of luxury after an extended budget period.

Michael Huxley 11/01/14    Link Report

I am an unashamed flashpacker – or Boutique Backpacker, the term I prefer! I’m not 21 anymore, I travel for shorter periods of time (2-3 week stints to accommodate work, boo hiss) so the extra few quid a night to improve my comfort levels is money well spent, in my opinion.

I research my hostels well, always favouring the smarter offerings, I go for smaller dorms (4-6 beds) and all the bells and whistles I can find – on Koh Samui, my bunk had a personal flat-screen telly built into the locker (genius, though who watches tv while travelling?!) and I had access to a spa and a private beach…all for less than a tenner. In Nicaragua, my hostel had an infinity pool with a view that most fancy resorts would kill for. There are some amazing options out there.

When dorm fatigue sets in, I occasionally treat myself to a night in a hotel , a splash out on the odd nice meal, a few cocktails – you can still be fabulous on a budget!

It isn’t always perfect – my swanky hostel in Medellin had all the atmosphere of a funeral home so i ended up crashing the bar at the ‘traditional’ backpackers round the corner. Backpacking is awesome but for me, personally, boutique backpacker all the way!

Divawivabackpak 10/01/14    Link Report

“you can still be fabulous on a budget” – THIS is my new New Year’s Resolution! :) Great phrase!

Lottie Gross 10/01/14    Link Report

Spot on! Completely agree!

Travelling in a little bit of comfort doesn’t have to cost the earth either as you say (and I love that phrase too)!

I am so searching out that hostel next time I’m on Samui though! Awesome idea!

Michael Huxley 11/01/14    Link Report

I am a budget traveler that has traveled quite luxuriosly, only because I engage in international home exchange! Sometimes I feel more like I’m on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous than on a budget vacation. That is how good home exchange can be! The homes I stay in are always way nicer than the hotels that I can afford. I’m too old to backpack, too young for tours, and too anal to stay anywhere that is not clean!

Kerry Ascione 11/01/14    Link Report