Boat Transportation in the South Pacific

I am planning a trip during May and June. My itinerary will include Samoa, Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. I’ve done some research on the price of airline tickets; however, I’m more interested in finding transportation via the ocean. Airlines are reasonably priced between the islands and flying would be just fine and dandy between some of the islands but I’d like to know if anyone has had any experience finding boats that travel through. I’m not looking for some all inclusive Carnival or Princess cruise line package (I’ve found plenty of those). I’m looking for small, local lines with a few other passengers, not hotels on water. If anyone knows of any small companies offering this type of service, input would be much obliged.

Thank you!

me.cowman92 30/10/13    Getting around Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

1 Reply Date Popularity

Hi, my girlfriend and I are also traveling to the Pacific, and I’m also looking into traveling by sea between islands. There are some problems with most of these places needing an “onwards travel ticket” for entry. I do know that it’s possible to go down to jetties and harbours on some islands and try to talk/work your way onto yachts etc either as crew or cook/cleaner. The problem is that to gain entry/visa to a country you often need to have the onward travel ticket first and you can’t guarantee that you’ll be able to get a place onboard yachts. There’s also some info online on cargo ships that ply some routes. But it’s very difficult to find info without calling some random office in the Pacific or being there… If you find anything else out, please do let me know. I’ll do likewise.

Thanks and good luck!

Peter

Atlasandboots 26/02/14    Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....