Advice on the very prettiest and photographic undulating (not flat), Tuscany countryside

Hi. Heading to Sienna in July for 9 days. May stay near Montepulciano too. Reading the Rough Guide it says that Montepulciano is on a vast plain. But where should I go in Tuscany for the incredibly beautiful up and down, undulating countryside with little villages ? Thanks for your help.

lewton 20/06/14    Where to goItaly Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

1 Reply Date Popularity

Tuscany is full of incredible landscapes but I reckon the Val d’Orcia (southern Tuscany) and the Chianti region (central Tuscany) are best for the type of countryside you’re after. From Montepulciano visit Pienza and San Quirico d’Orcia, both beautiful hill-towns in stunning countryside. Everywhere’s easily reachable from Siena – Volterra is my favourite hill-town.
Have a great trip!

Natasha Foges 23/06/14    Link Report

Hi Natasha. That’s great advice. Thankyou. :) I plan on staying just outside Siena for three nights and at Montepulciano for 6 nights. Does that sound a good balance ? I’ve made a note of the villages and valleys you recommend. I love nature and am a keen photographer too. Thankyou. :)

lewton 23/06/14    Link Report

One other question perhaps. Would you recommend buying a local guidebook to villages when I reach there, or before I travel ? I’m travelling very, very light and space is a limited. I’ve already bought a map of Tuscany.

lewton 23/06/14    Link Report

No problem! That sounds like a good balance, yes. Siena is a lively city with lots going on at this time of year, and excellent transport links if you want to explore further afield. Staying in Montepulciano will give you a taste of small-town Tuscan life. As for guidebooks, the Rough Guide to Tuscany & Umbria is your best bet, with the most detailed coverage of the hill-towns – you’d be best off buying before you travel. It’s also available as an ebook if you’re travelling really light..

Natasha Foges 25/06/14    Link Report