Hi, my name is Ann and I’m 18 years old. Next summer my cousin and I (she’s 17) want to plan a backpacking trip across Europe. Our outline is very simple, 6 countries in 60 days, and it includes 8 cities. However, we know how easily it is for plans to change, and that plans look better on paper. Basically, I’ve outlined what countries/cities we want to visit and I’ve sufficiently researched them too.
• U.S.A → London (flying): spend 10 days in London (staying with my aunt)
• London → Paris (train?): Spend 6 days in Paris (hostel)
• Paris → Nice (train? bus?): Spend 4 days in Nice (hostel)
• Nice → Barcelona (train?): Spend 10 days in Barcelona (hostel)
• Barcelona → Rome (train? plane?): Spend 5 days in Rome (hostel)
• Rome → Venice (train? bus?): Spend 5 days in Venice (hostel)
• Venice → Athens (train? plane?): Spend 10 days in Athens – maybe Santorini? (hostel)
• Athens → Moscow (train? plane?): Spend 10 days in Moscow (hostel)
• Moscow → U.S.A (flying): going home
I have a couple questions:
1. If my cousin and I bring $3000 USD each for a total of $6000, would that be enough to cover the entire trip (in euros) or should we aim for something higher?
2. How should we go from country to country, or travelling between cities in the same country? Is a Eurail pass worth it? What about budget airlines like RyanAir or EasyJet? And how are other bus/train services in these countries? Preferably the cheapest, yet still safe/reliable. Any tips you have regarding low-cost transportation are very helpful!
3. The only country that we mentioned that requires a Visa is Russia right? Would it be easy for me (a Canadian citizen) and my cousin (an American citizen) to get visas?
4. Can she travel with me if she’s under 18? Like does she need specific notes from her parents? How about flying, can she fly with me as a minor?
If you can answer any of these questions, including giving us any tips/hints/attractions in these cities, I would be very grateful!